Healthy Adventures Foundation (501(c)(3)) offers a number of youth and community services and program that promote healthy lifestyle and development. All of the services, programs and classes focus on developing skills surrounding health and wellness, nutrition education, physical activity/fitness classes, stress reduction, youth leadership and character development, building confidence, gardening, and healthy cooking classes. These programs exist to support, educate, and empower youth to take create healthy lifestyles by taking control of their nutritional habits, stress management, and physical activity levels.
Healthy Adventures Foundation partners with a wide-variety of organizations to services foster care, underserved, and at-risk youth. All the services, programs and classes are located at the partner agencies' locations. Here are some of the programs where our services might fit well (this list is not exhaustive): recess activities (before/after school and during lunch), after-school Programs, library programs, senior centers, community and recreational centers, faith-based programs, and more! To schedule healthy lifestyle services at your site, please contact Wendy Hileman at (619) 466-4386 or email us.
We are currently partnered with Promises 2 Kids, Polinsky Children's Center, the County of San Diego Libraries, City Libraries, and low-income housing communities. When working with these groups we provide creative and active games, as well as educational classes which engage the youth. In giving these children the tools to understand and manage their wellness, we give them a better chance and living long, happy, healthy lives.
The list below provides examples of some of services, programs and classes we offer. It is not exhaustive and topics can be tailored to your specific needs. If your program serves low-income youth and is a non-profit (501(c)(3)) or public entity (e.g. public schools, libraries, etc.), we have a program match fee schedule. Contact us for more information: Wendy Hileman, PhD, 619-466-4386 or email.
- Grant writing for partner organizations wishing to bring in our services
- Three free nutrition or exercise workshops to new district/locations (used to determine if our services would be effective in your community, organizations, and with the population that you serve. Must be non-profit organization, that serves low SES, at-risk/high-risk youth. Cooking classes, gardening, and CPR/First Aid, and other supply-based classes are excluded). School locations must serve more than 50% free/reduced lunch or serving 50% or more low-income youth).
- Biometric / Health Screenings – kids learn about your health through fitness activities and their own biometrics (heart rate, respirations, blood pressure)
- Classes for Positive Mental Health
- Virtual or in-person
- Stress Management
- Positive and Mindful Eating
- Team Building
- Conflict Resolution
- Mindfulness for Kids
- Meditation 101
- Confidence Building Classes
- Fear Factor
- CPR, AED, First Aid
- Fitness Classes
- Virtual or in-person
- Group Exercise Sessions
- Line dancing
- Body Sculpting
- Step Aerobics
- Balance Training
- SPARK games
- Circuit Training
- Kick Boxing
- Rhythms Fitness (drum sticks)
- Boom Wackers (music fitness)
- Gardening Programs
- Virtual or in-person
- Urban Farming Always wanted to be a farmer but weren’t sure where to start? This workshop will introduce many different topics, such as composting, water capture, vermicomposting, chickens/ducks, tilapia, gardening, and more. This class is intended to inspire the possibilities of options for your backyard farm ideas.
- Healthy Cooking Classes
- Virtual or in-person
- We come out to teach people how to integrate more fruits, vegetables and whole grains in their diet, in a way that is tasty and doesn’t leave people feeling deprived of the foods they want! This can be a hands-on or demonstration-based class. These are primarily vegetarian based recipes designed to promote more whole food and healthier options for everyday life.
- Note, the site does not have to have kitchen facilities, as we have a mobile kitchen option, if needed.
- Hands on (recommended for kids and all-ages)
- Theme of your choice. Here are some suggestions:
- Cooking around the world
- Healthy breakfasts
- Healthy lunches
- Healthy dinners
- Healthy deserts
- Healthy snacks
- Low-cost healthy eating
- A specific food-focus/ingredient-focus
- World Foods cooking, healthy focus
- Holiday themes
- No cook recipes
- 5 ingredients or less cooking
- Family friendly
- Play with your food – food art (kids 12 years and under)
- Assembly-based cooking (kids 6 years and under)
- Cooking out of the Box – CSA box cooking (seasonal, requires additional costs)
- Food Science – incorporate STEM into cooking concepts
Healthy Eating and Nutrition Workshops
- Choose My Plate
- Fast Food: Trying to make the best choices when eating fast food
- Sugar and Fat Measurements
- Name that Taste -Are you sure the foods you say you don’t like are - really foods that you don’t like? How can you be sure? Find out about the emotional connection to our foods and how that impacts our tastes.
- Nutrition 101
Healthy Eating, Physical Activity, and Cultural Trivia Games:
- Nutrition Jeopardy
- Fear Factor (yes, we eat bugs!)
- Healthy Pictionary
- Healthy Lifestyle and Love Your Body Programs:
- Exercise classes
- Nutrition education
- Hands-on healthy cooking
- Body Positive
- Homework Club
- Improv Club
- Literacy and Healthy Lifestyle
- Read & Move (these classes are designed for pre-school aged kids)
- Music – learn how to make music with household items. Percussion-based music.
- Outdoor Recreation - We provide support staff and programming for your outdoor recreational program.
- Backpacking, Camping, Hiking, Kayaking, and Park Exploration
- Yoga retreat
Sport Workshops/Camps for Skill Development
- Field Hockey
- Track & Field
- Fitness Olympics
- STEAM workshops
- Arts/Crafts – Art and craft fun for the kids with repurposed items to bring beauty and to inspire creativity.
- Body Systems – learn about biometric measurements in our body and how lifestyle strategies impact them, through fitness, meditation, eating, breathing
- Food Art – Bring your healthy food concepts to life with fun food projects that kids are more likely to eat!
- Food Science – Bring on the chemistry, physics, biology, and math. Now that I scared you away, let me talk you back into it. Cooking in the kitchen includes chemistry, physics, biology and math. We do food experiments that teach the kids science and mathematics and they don’t even realize it! Plus they get to eat their experiments!
- Kitchen Science – Learn all about chemistry, physics, biology, and math using normal items you find in your kitchen. We do a variety of experiments that teach the kids about science and they don’t even realize they are learning!
- Gardening – Soil prep, weeding, water schedule, productivity planting plans, planting rotations
- Gardening Art – Decorate your pot, make your plant markers, plant your seeds, and watch them grow!
- Garden Science – Soil testing, composting, vermicomposting, water capture, plant science
- Maker classes –
- Beauty supplies - learn how to make your own things, from bath bombs or salts to scented lotions to lip balms to sugar / salt body scrubs to perfumes.
- Fermented foods –
- Cheese - kids learn how to make their own cheese.
- Pickles – kids learn how to pickle their own veggies.
- Sugar Skulls – learn how to make them and then decorate them.
- Wellness Coaching for Kids (Individual or Family Sessions)
- Youth Leadership Groups
- Youth Leadership - Empower youth to make healthy changes in their communities by teaching them the tools they need to identify, collect data, present findings, and use environmental scanning tools.
- Team-Building - Does your group need to build in some team work, better communications, cooperation, and better relations? Team building activities can be developed depending on the needs of your particular group.
- Weight of the Nation (youth version) – Film and kids discussion group
- Character development workshops
Got another idea?
Let us know what it is and we will design it!
Contact information to schedule or for more information.